Thursday 31 July 2014

Round Three - Day One - Look what we found...

Five of these little critters were all on one tiny plant (Groundsel) on a driveway and I had just weed killed the whole gravelled area!! I only noticed them as I had finished and thought I must of killed them or if not I definitely killed all their food :-(  So I scooped them up and brought them home. Looking on the way to find any similar plants - nothing!!




Once we got home I looked up what they are and what they eat. They are Cinnabar Moths and they eat mainly Ragwort or Groundsel. So the hunt was on that evening to try and get them some grub. We had been out for about half an hour and were just about to give up when we came across one lonely Ragwort plant (yippeee!!). Would you believe that this plant also had a caterpillar on it, so now we have six beautiful Cinnabar Moth caterpillars and a bigger task now of feeding six hungry little mouths.

No comments:

Post a Comment