Sunday 10 August 2014

Round Three - Day Eleven - All Pupa now

The Cinnabar Moths are all pupa now and have a new home in an old "Flying Saucers" tub. The only thing that was clear and big enough for them to emerge in. I don't want them in with the Peacock Butterflies as I want to be able to photograph the different stages.

Cinnabar Moth Pupa
I have put sticks in the bottom as they were already in crevices before I moved them and I also placed long sticks up the tub, as when they emerge they will need somewhere to hang for their wings to form properly.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I'm trying to establish a colony of cinnabar moths as I've noticed they're becoming incresingly rare in our area.
    I've reared hawk moths in the past, but cinnabar moths are quite different so any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    I've searched online but there appears to be very little information on rearing these moths.
    After wintering did your pupa ever hatch?

    ReplyDelete